Wednesday 25 April 2007

We need a good war.

And by this I mean one full of heroism, derring do, adventure and incredible moustaches (as opposed to our current, immensely grim and unpleasant war of attrition in a desert, which doesn't feature moustaches in any significant manner).

Unlike most people of my generation, neither of my Grandparents actually fought in WWII (one hid in the coal cellar for many years and emerged blinking into the light in 1972 and the other was a guard in a concentration camp) and I can't help but feel left out that I didn't get any decent war stories (or Nazi war loot) from them. It's a a situation i would like to remedy for my own (as yet entirely hypothetical) grandchildren.

Like many people I would much prefer to be sat huddled excitedly in a trench drinking tea and waiting for the "Big Push" or being one of those charming doomed airmen from black and white films with long scarves rather than my current situation (which I imagine like most people in the country is probably a IT customer service related job-a type of job for which the British character is so terribly and woefully unsuited).

At least our forefathers had could at least look forward to the possibility of shooting at least one German in their lifetimes, which is something we have been cruelly denied.

No comments: