Tuesday 25 September 2007

Isn't it nice when they can enjoy themselves?

Surprising as it may seem from my continued rants about almost everything in the world, I am actually a staunch advocate of the welfare state-I think on a fundamental level it forms the backbone of this country, allowing us free education and healthcare, (which are two of the finest privileges available) whilst ensuring that the vulnerable in out society are if not as well looked after as they could be then at least made slightly more comfortable..

I also think it provides an invaluable safety net for those who lose jobs, are made redundant or are genuinely unable to work-indeed, I have been among this number.

I also think it’s especially useful for those young people who have found themselves “disengaged” from education, and so perhaps feel like they might not want to work. Well, that’s fine isn’t it? You don’t need to worry, I’m happy to pay for you for the rest of your life!

Tell you what kids, at the end of each working day I’ll set aside a little bit of the money I have earned that day, just for you. That way you won’t have to worry will you? It can be put in that little account, (where so much of my money seems to go!) called “Fucking Incompetents and Government Wastage” and you can spend it on alcohol and tracksuits.

It’s special little things like this-such imaginative use of public goodwill-that give me such a warm fuzzy feeling inside. It’s like when I am going to work in the morning and I see happy, healthy people standing on street corners drinking Stella. What a lovely breakfast that must be-so much more imaginative and relaxed than my own rushed cup of tea and toast!

Anyway-this update is especially for those people. You cheered me up so much with your happy carefree faces when I saw you this morning that I felt I just had to tell someone…

1 comment:

richashby said...

Amen to that brother.

Here's more on the subject, and for once a judge making a sensible pronouncement:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7011962.stm