Tuesday 22 January 2008

City of Vice

Watched City of Vice again last night. It’s bound to get some complaints, specifically because of a scene where black male police officer nicknamed “Jamaica Mary” tore the clothes of a young (white) transvestite, bent him over a bed and promised him he would “fuck him until the Devil blushed”. You never got that in “Poldark” did you?

There was also a scene where a man in a dress pretended to give birth to a wooden doll. It’s just as well I’m broad minded really, otherwise I'd have been a bit perturbed by it all. I think it certainly raises the bar for period dramas in general though and I hope it starts a trend to make them as offensively shocking as possible. I fully expect the next TV adaptation of “Pride and Prejudice” to include a scene in which Mr Darcy sucks off a pig whilst dressed as Hitler or something equally controversial.

I missed the end of City of Vice as there was a plumbing emergency I had to attend to in the bathroom. Shame.

No comments: